“Fresh off the presses and still warm” as they say, the CDs had been delivered to us by their project manager and International Conservatory of Music Board Member Duane Morse just minutes before audience members began to arrive. If you attended the March 16th, 2013 David Russell concert and wandered by our packed CD & Raffle Ticket table, you may have seen either our poster or the actual Marlow Guitar Series Favorites CD.
Thanks to the help of our volunteers, Debbie and Patrick Mezzetta, who manage the CD & Raffle Ticket table, we made the CDs available to the public for the first time. Many in our audience took advantage of it.
Thanks to our first buyer, who purchased one even before the CDs had arrived at the venue!
The CD features recordings of a selection of artists that have performed for the John E. Marlow Guitar Series over the years. It is a celebration of the wonderful performances that we have had. We are happy to share them with you.
This CD is available for sale at future concerts. We have one left this season, April 13, 2013.
An excerpt from the Introduction inside the booklet:
Now in its 19th season, the John E. Marlow Guitar Series is the Washington, D.C. area’s premier presenter of the classical guitar in all of its facets. This CD features some of our favorite performers from the series, with particular emphasis on up-and-coming artists. All of them have graciously allowed us to include these recordings of their performances to help promote and raise funds to continue the Marlow Guitar Series. We thank them for their support and ask that you, the listener, respect their generosity by not making or distributing unauthorized copies of this CD or these performances.
1. John Marlow (5:01): Prelude from Violin Sonata No. 1 (J.S. Bach) (1-22-75)
2. Ana Vidovic (3:39): Allegro from Sonatina (Torroba) (11-22-03)
3. Duo Amaral (4:11): Suplica from Saggio (Amaral) (1-21-12)
4. Marco Socias (3:00): Tonadilla from Three Spanish Pieces (Pujol) (11-10-12)
5. Guy Van Duser & Billy Novick (5:11): Wolverine Blues (Morton) (2-24-07)
6. Frank Vignola (The Frank & Joe Show) (3:24): Stardust (Carmichael) (5-6-05)
7. Mark Ashford (5:20): Capricorn (Dyens) (3-19-11)
8. Yuri Liberzon (4:04): Allegro from Sonata Op. 61 (Turina) (2-19-11)
9. Ricardo Marlow (4:26): Mi Copita de Jerez (Tanguillo) (1-25-02)
10. Frank Vignola & Hot Club USA (6:39): I Can’t Give You Anything But Love (Fields & McHue) (3-16-02)
11. Pearl Django (2:59): The Conversation (Leppanen) (4-24-10)*
12. Margarita Escarpa (4:55): Tristorosa (Villa-Lobos) (3-28-09)
13. Carlos Pérez (2:44): Maria Carolina (Lauro) (10-23-10)
14. Rupert Boyd (4:32): Torre Bermeja from Piezas Characteristicas (Albeniz) (1-30-10)
15. Roland Dyens (3:36): Take the “A” Train (Strayhorn & Ellington) (10-19-02)
16. George Vassilev (3:59): Cantabile from Suite for Guitar “Koyunbaba,” Op. 19 (Domeniconi) (11-20-04)
17. Anabel Montesinos & Marco Tamayo (3:56): The Fool on the Hill (Lennon & McCartney, arr. Brouwer) (11-17-07)
18. Cem Duruöz (4:54): Milonga del Angel (Piazzolla) (2-21-09)
Total running time: 76:34
The John E. Marlow Guitar Series is presented by The International Conservatory of Music, a Section 501(c)(3) organization,
7001 Delaware St. Chevy Chase, MD 20815 www.marlowguitar.org
©℗ 2013 The International Conservatory of Music